Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Driving & Reflecting, "City By The Bay" Style

...And here's to you... ♫ ♫ ♫ 

Well, some of you who know me have described me as a 'deep' or reflective person, and I tend to agree. At times, I can be introspective, and at other times, just focused on the here and now and enjoying the good and simplicity that life has to offer. This past weekend Dawn and I took a "mini-Vacay" to the City by the Bay. Ah, yes, San Francisco. We both had lived and worked there when we were younger, although we still had not officially met back then (That is another truly fascinating and OMG reflection). She at UC Berkeley and the U.S. Attorney's Office, and me at San Francisco State University, both back in the eighties. We both know the City, as it's called, but had not been there together. We've been together almost five years now and still hadn't traveled to the City together, other than quick, out-n-back trips for an event, dinner, etc.

The City holds many special memories for both of us. We took an opportunity this past weekend to travel to the City for a quick get-away. I mean, we're both off work, we have a dog sitter available, the weather's great, and we have a free stay at the Downtown Marriott to use before the end of the month. Come on, now, can it play out any better?



So off we went! A leisurely drive westbound down I-80, over the Bay Bridge and into the City we went. Wow, thank you GPS in the car (we call her Gypsy, by the way), as we made our way through the streets of San Francisco on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. We had late dinner reservations, but decided to hit them up first and try and get in early. Shot scored! Dinner at the House of Prime Rib, the famous restaurant we learned about on the Food Network that we've always wanted to try. WOW! Worth every penny and definitely one for the SF bucket list!


With an early dinner we could then leisurely head through the City to the hotel and watch the Grammy's live, instead of hitting up the DVR after the fact when we got home. We thoroughly loved driving through the City streets as we each recanted stories of our younger years and all those special memories that San Francisco holds for each of us. It was a great opportunity to learn much more about each other and our pasts. So very cool!

It was truly a time of driving and reflecting for Dawn and me, from the moment we left Sacramento until we finished yesterday on our drive back home. It was a time to share old, special memories and also a time to create new ones.

For me, I got to do something I've always loved. Well, both us of love. We got to drive over the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge (south to north) with the open top on the car. Hearing and feeling the rush of the wind, the swiftly moving fog and clouds over the hills, the cold air, and the beautiful bright orange spans of the Golden Gate towering and gliding up and down just above our heads. Ah, what memories! And, of course, for me it brought back memories of one of my favorite actors and movies, Dustin Hoffman and The Graduate. Just like I relate to his sitting on the bottom of the pool with a SCUBA tank, drowning out the noises of life, driving over the bridge holds special meanings and memories for me, as well. Yeah, I know Benjamin drove over the Bay Bridge in the movie, but I can change it in my head, thank you. :)

So, here's our drive yesterday.


Isn't it beautiful? I drove and my trusty assistant shot the video with the camera high in the air and wind, almost losing it couple of times. It sure made for some great action footage and the feeling of being right there, though, didn't it? Also, I'm sure the $6 toll is there to deter you from doing it over and over and over. Ya think? So, you can just watch the clip over and over and over.

As for the movie, The Graduate, I love it and can always watch it again. I think I just might. :) In fact, I just added it to our Netflix queue and moved it to the top! Even the entire soundtrack by Simon & Garfunkel is perfect as each song brings back a whole bank of memories for me too.

What else did we do, you ask? Well, we made a stop at St. Anne of the Sunset on our way towards our Drive through Golden Gate Park.


It was here that we got a chance, both together and alone, to say a few special prayers. For me it was for my parents and for my brother, Terry, who passed away tragically on this day, 13 years ago. We lit a candle together and moved on with our day with a feeling of peace and calmness in our hearts.

From there we turned the corner and both of us simultaneously squeaked out a yelp and we spocked the Andronico's Community Market sign in the distance. Are your freakin' kidding me? We both used to go here to shop and/or get lunch? WOW! So we stopped into this amazing little, local market and strolled through yet more memories as we even met a new friend. After picking up a few essentials, we got some amazing fresh Cream of Broccoli soup and Indian food from the deli to eat for lunch in their little, in-market sitting area.



After we crossed the Bridge, we headed through Marin and then locked in the GPS for home. What an absolutely amazing mini-Vacay. So here's some bucket list items for you and if you're in town, give us a call; we'd luv to join you for a memory, to remember or to create.

Mahalo for driving and reflecting with Captain Bobby Mitchel


.

No comments:

Post a Comment