Monday, March 25, 2013

Kona-Cam

Kona Kai…our Chocolate Lab

Well, you've seen photos of her, you've seen and heard about her here on this blog, you've seen her on YouTube, and she's even been offered a TV show by a Producer on Animal Planet. You've seen her run, jump, swim, speak and use her 'inside voice' for Scooby Snacks, and even lounge around on the couch and do nothing at all.

You've heard about her, we've talked about her, and some of you know her in person, or should I say, in "dog." Yup, she's our puppy, my trusty First Officer, Kona Kai Waikoloa.


Hey, wait! What the heck is that around her neck, you ask? Well, that is a high definition, underwater video camera. Yup, my GoPro Hero 3, Black Edition that I use for SCUBA diving and lately for Hummingbirds and now Chocolate Labs.

We went to the cabin this past weekend and I decided to attach it to Kona and see if she'd accept it while she runs about the beautiful redwoods surrounding Donner Lake and the cabin. I knew we would go on a hike or two and even though there is still a little snow remaining, Kona would be bummed if we left without going swimming in the frigid lake before she left. And by swimming I mean her, not me!




Well, she did. So, Kona-Cam was born!


Here is a link to the YouTube video and Kona's new addition.

Kona-Cam


Did she enjoy it? I don't really know, but she sure didn't really mind having it on at all. I tested it both on the ground and in that water and it worked well. I was mainly worried about battery life and the collar slipping off and losing the camera; neither of the two were a problem. 

Unfortunately, we didn't come across any animals either, like a rabbit (her favorite to chase) so that was a bummer. It was probably better in the long run as this was just a testing run anyway. The only real problem I came across was the camera swinging side to side a lot and getting stuck to one side when she swims. I'll have to work on that. I really think she'd be cool with wearing a small helmet with the camera attached, but I'm afraid at what the other dogs would say.



Mahalo for Testing Kona-Cam with Captain Bobby Mitchel




.

No comments:

Post a Comment