Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Honu Free Diving

So there we were, hanging on the beach in Maui just chillaxin and unwinding. My dive buddy was down for the count as she's growing a human in her belly so it was just chill time for the 2 ½ of us. We had Mai Tai's (for me, that is) on the beach, music playing, and many whales in the distance. I took the opportunity to do a little free diving and testing of my new Go Pro Hero 3 camera too.

While out in the crystal clear blue waters, I came across a very large Honu (Hawaiian Sea Turtle) just cruzin' along so I decided to cruz along with her. She did not care one bit and for like a ¼ mile or more I hung just behind her and took videos, pictures, went back up for air, went back down, and hung with her some more. It was awesome! She just cruz'd along at a nice pace and didn't dart off or pick up the pace. I could have stopped off for a Zip Pac or Shave Ice for the two of us and come back down for shares, if I wanted. (Some of you, or most of you, may not have got that reference, so check the link).

I was behind her, moved from one side to the other and she didn't mind one bit. It was like we were formation flying for awhile, except I had to go up for air a lot more often than she did!

Here she is:


No tank required and no navigation, etc. It was such a delight just to once again, hang with my Honu friends and enjoy. They are such peaceful and beautiful creatures of the ocean, gracefully flying along with their soulful eyes.

I'll update this later with more photos and videos of her once I get caught up. I just wanted to share her with you now.  When I was finally done, I just stopped in the water and literally said and waved goodbye. I was kind of bummed… A hui ho, my friend


Mahalo for Free Diving with Captain Bobby Mitchel

No comments:

Post a Comment