Monday, July 23, 2012

Mother Nature's Fury

One often hears that planes and flights are delayed due to weather. True. But, in today's age, the electronic device wielding passenger often says, "Hey, I just checked the weather there and it's beautiful!"

So we smile and say, "Yes, we know that too, but it's the weather between here and there that is causing the problem."

What we'd like to say is more like, "Yup, I've been doing this for 30 years. How 'bout you give me your work address and I'll be there tomorrow to tell you how to do your job? Until then, why don't you sit don't and have a drink and some peanuts and let me do mine?"

So, it's a pilot's job to avoid the big storms, because, yes, they can indeed cause some serious damage. Now that's a whole other topic, but let me talk about the storms just for a bit. Storms and what Mother Nature creates are amazing…amazingly beautiful and amazingly dangerous. Beautiful, powerful, yet mystically dangerous…damn that's sexy. Oh, I luv a good storm…from the ground or from the distance in the air.

I mean, check out this bolt of lightening thrown from this huge, 50,000+ foot high thunderstorm.


Pretty awesome, huh? And when flying at night, watching the storms develop, dissipate, and produce tremendous light shows within is absolutely mesmerizing. So, without spending too much time talking about a storm, because we all know what they are, feast upon this video of a powerful thunderstorm over the Southeastern United States.

And to make it even more beautiful and powerful, it's accompanied by Adele's amazing pipes sounding out Fire and Rain. Wow, ya gotta luv a woman with a great voice :) I do


And here is a YouTube link to the same video:


Well, how was that? Pretty dang cool, huh? Maybe next time I can get a clearer, better picture, but sights like this don't come often. And a shout out to my buddy, Kevin, for helping capture video.

Mahalo for Storm Chasing with Captain Bobby Mitchel



.

1 comment:

  1. I'm fine with that! I'll let you do your job, and feel better because you know what you're doing when you take my life in your hands!

    ReplyDelete