Wednesday, July 11, 2012

St. Elmo's Fire - Do You Believe?

What's the first thing that come's to your mind when you see the word's St. Elmo's Fire? The movie? Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. Oh, I'm not too sure you thought,
"A weather phenomenon in which luminous plasma is created by a coronal discharge from a sharp or pointed object in a strong electric field in the atmosphere.

Am I right? Well, my brother, David, might have thought that, but, then again, he's a Physicist, and I had to spell check 'Physicist' before I finished this sentence. Actually, I'm guessing he thought of the movie too since it's a good movie with some good music and he's a music lover.

Honestly, even though the movie stars members of the 'Brat Pack," it's definitely no Breakfast Club, which is one of my all-time favorites. Well, look at that! Squirrel!

Okay, back on point. St. Elmo's Fire…What is it? In a nutshell, it's freakin' cool, that's what! From a pilot's point of view, it's basically static electricity (purple lightening bolts) that dance across our windscreen when we fly through the clouds at night under certain weather and temperature conditions. Ya know, like the quote above stated.

Here, take a look…


Pretty cool, huh? And on this night, we really didn't have a lot of "Fire" on the windscreen. I've been flying and have had the entire front windscreen filled from side to side with hundreds of dancing lightening bolts. Believe me, it is quite something to see for yourself.

It can also be viewed on YouTube at: St. Elmo's Fire

And while you ponder that video, ponder this:
Everyone and everything is interconnected in this universe 
Follow the signs, and you will uncover your destiny
Stay pure of heart and you will see the signs
                                                                   - Jeff 
So, with that, I just wanted to share a little something cool from flying that not too many people get to witness. Now, if I can just get a snap of one of those aliens that climb all over our wings during flight and mess with things, that would be cool. ;)

Mahalo for night flying with Captain Bobby Mitchel



.

1 comment: